Welcome to the Backyard Farmer!

Randy Durham

Administrator
Staff member
Patron
Hi folks. With a new year comes a new venture, one I've been looking forward to for a long time. Our vision is 2020 (pun intended) as we start this year and this new website. Thebackyardfarmer.com is a website that will be dedicated to sharing what we know about growing our food and sustainability, and discovering what we don't know from local experts and from you our audience and fellow farmers. In addition to these member forums we will be hosting articles from experts and producing video segments on everything from planning a garden, growing vegetables, canning and preserving food, raising chickens, raising quail, hydroponics, aquaponics, beekeeping and more!

Professionally, I am a video producer and storyteller. I've been blessed to make a living at this for over 40 years and to travel to over 30 countries. My yearly passion in addition to fishing and spending time with family has been growing things. We've had a garden each year that my wife and I have been married and I have wonderful memories (now) of working our family garden when I was a child. In addition to growing and preserving a lot of our own food, a few years ago we added chickens and fresh eggs to our backyard "farm". And in 2019 I began a new journey of learning how to keep bees. There is so much to learn but I am an inquisitive guy and if you are too then perhaps we can learn to grow together.

We will begin to post articles and video segments in the coming weeks. So I hope you’ll take a moment to click on the Register button above to create a free account with us. Since we are building a backyard farming community here we only ask that you register an account with your real name! I’ve found over the years that anonymity is not a good thing on a social media website. By using our real names we take some personal responsibility for what we say and how we treat one another. I think that is very important. Our website is commited to being a family-friendly one and will be moderated to make sure that we maintain it that way.

After registering and logging in, navigate to our “Meet and Greet” forum to introduce yourself to the community.

I look forward to seeing you online!

Blessings,
Randy Durham
Administrator